Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Making a Meal Last - Tacos

Tacos are a quick and easy meal to put together - mostly because once you are at the table, some assembly is required! And that is what makes it a fun meal. For me, a meal of tacos involves the following:
  • Tacos Shells or tortillas (about $1-$2 for 10 servings)
  • Grated Cheddar Cheese (grate your own and you are most definitely saving money)
  • Shredded Lettuce (use what's on sale - iceburg or romaine both are equally yummy)
  • Salsa (I am particular about my salsa, but you can usually find a store brand for $1-$2 a jar)
  • Sour Cream (about $2 for a medium size container)
  • Diced Tomatoes (if it's in season, I buy fresh, otherwise just drain a can!)
  • The all-important ground beef filling (enhanced with a $0.50 package of taco seasoning)
The last time I made tacos, I had 1 pound of meat and a very hungry boyfriend. I knew I wanted to make sure that there were leftovers so I could make my famous taco salad the next day for lunch. How could I make 1 pound of ground beef outlast my boyfriend's appetite? The answer: A can of pinto beans. I rinsed and drained a can of pinto beans and browned them right along with the meat and followed the directions on the package of seasoning. It was flavorful, added extra healthy protein to the meal, and I successfully had leftovers for the rest of the week. I plan on trying this with black beans next time.

No comments: